The complex was originally built in the early 1920s as the Pacific International Livestock Exposition, and operated as a livestock exhibition, cattle grading, and auction facility. Alexander Chalmers, Centerville/Forest Grove, breeder of Shorthorn Cattle; Frank Brown, Carlton, breeder of Shropshire Sheep and Shorthorn Cattle; Herb Chandler, Baker, breeder of Hereford Cattle; A.C. Ruby, Portland, breeder of Clydesdale Horses; O.M. Plumber, a Portland businessman; and W.B. Ayre, Portland, a wealthy lumberman as a group formed the Pacific International Livestock Show in Portland. The first year of the show (approx. 1920), the stock, including cattle, horses, sheep, and pigs, were housed in the beef cattle covered pens. Two huge exhibition tents were erected for the judging of the stock. Later, a building was constructed adjacent to the North Portland stockyards, which was next to Swift & Co. slaughter and processing plant. Subsequent shows were held in this building, which still stood as of 1979. It is now owned by the Multnomah County Fair Association. The show later had a side line of holding huge auctions of livestock for breeding purposes.